Ted Jones, PhD, CPE is a Knoxville native. He attended Earlham College in Richmond, IN. He had a brief stint in Boston University School of Law before pursuing a career as a clinical psychologist. He graduated from the University of Tennessee Knoxville in 1981 with a PhD in clinical psychology. He worked in a variety of positions at local mental health centers, including six years working full-time at the University of Tennessee Medical Center’s substance-abuse treatment program. He entered private practice in 1996 and soon began specializing in pain management and evaluation of addiction risk. He joined the psychology group, Behavioral Medicine Institute, PC, and has practiced within the various office locations of Pain Consultants of East Tennessee since 2000. He has presented professional programs locally, regionally, and nationally, and has collaborated with staff at PCET on several professional research papers. He has been a recurring lecturer at PainWeek (the annual conference of the American Society of Pain Educators), and completed the qualifications for the Certified Pain Educator (CPE) credential in 2012. He is considered one of the nation’s leading psychological experts on pain-and-addiction issues. He was honored to be selected as the American Society of Pain Educators’ 2013 Clinical Educator of the Year.
Recent Academic Publications
- Jones T, Schmidt M, Moore TM (2015). “Further Validation of an Opioid Risk Assessment Tool: The Brief Risk Questionnaire.” Annals of Psychiatry and Mental Health. 3(3): 1032.
- Jones T, Lookatch S, Moore T. (2015). “Validation of a New Risk Assessment Tool: The Brief Risk Questionnaire.” Journal of Opioid Management. Vol 11(2):171-183.
- Jones T (2015). “Putting Your Knowledge Into Practice: Using a Practice Case to Understand Patient Risk Assessment and Treatment Planning.” PainView. Vol. 11(1): 4-6.
- Jones T (2014). “Medication Aberrant Behavior and Time in Treatment: A Descriptive Analysis.” Annals of Psychiatry and Mental Health. 3(1): 1019.
- Jones T, Lookatch S, Grant P, McIntyre J, and Moore T (2014). “Further Validation of an Opioid Risk Assessment Tool: The Brief Risk Interview.” Journal of Opioid Management. 10(5): 353-364.
- Jones T (2014). “The 5 Skills Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs.” Practical Pain Management, 14(1): 64-69.